Canary Wharf, East London (E14)
£425 - £500 per day
Contract Devops Engineer - £500 per day
My client has a technology function that manages a range of proprietary and third-party applications that cover internal operations and client tools. These tools and systems have a range of different technology and infrastructure requirements with AWS and cloud-based technologies being a common and core theme.
As well as managing the infrastructure requirements of these systems with a view of delivering reliability, security, cost efficiencies, this role will be responsible for working with the development team to ensure the development process is always efficient and effective.
- Develop, document and deliver against an infrastructure strategy covering key objectives for infrastructure (reliability and resilience, security, efficiency)
- Monitor and improve backup and redundancy of all services being accountable for uptime.
- Whilst no formal out of hours support required, be available to support occasional out of hours work.
- Work with senior developers and Head of Development to establish performance metrics for in-house applications and introduce benchmarks to measure and report on these.
- Co-ordinate regular security assessments of infrastructure and systems, resolving infrastructure gaps and notifying development team of systems gaps.
- Track and record all in-scope infrastructure costs and actively seek to introduce efficiencies to improve cost profile.
- Manage following sample areas of infrastructure - AWS – EC2, RDS, S3, Route 53, IAM etc. DNS services (internal, external)
- Support the in-house development team and the existing continuous deployment approach
- Design and implement a support process for infrastructure including emergency out of hours support approaches (out of hours attention may be required in emergencies).
Required Technical Skills
- LAMP stack installations including cloud implementations and high availability, high load installations Infrastructure expertise in.
- Apache, Nginx, HAProxy
- MySQL including replicated slave structures
- Networking technologies
- AWS (including, but not limited to EC2, RDS, E/ALB, VPCs/VPNs, S3, Cloudfront, Route 53, security groups, Cloudwatch, IAM)
- Automated and version-controlled reproducible builds (for deployment and developers)
- Infrastructure as code utilising Terraform, SaltStack, Packer, Ansible, Puppet, and Bash
- Monitoring and logging technologies, such as New Relic, and ELK stack
- Security best practices (server hardening, 2FA, secure data storage)
Desired Technical Skills
- Continuous integration / continuous deployment
- Container technology (Vagrant, Docker)
- Experience with Agile methods
- NoSQL databases (CouchDB)
- DR and BCP processes
- Previous experience with Atlassian software suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence)
If you are a Devops Engineer who is meeting most of the above and ready for your next contract, please make your application today.